Campaign, Get Involved, Awareness
Light it Red for Dyslexia October 2021
Light it Red for Dyslexia Awareness is a volunteer initiative by Code REaD Dyslexia Network, a national registered charity, to light significant monuments, buildings and landmarks across Australia in RED for Dyslexia Awareness.
WHY ALL THE RED?
Ask any dyslexic about their school experience and they will tell you about the gut wrenching fear of receiving back their school work covered in red crosses and comments. When Light it Red started in 2015, it was about taking back the power of that colour to raise awareness. The colour influenced our name Code Read (pronounced RED) Dyslexia Network. Red is disruptive and cannot be ignored but it also highlights the urgency of the situation. In effect we wanted to say that it is time to stop sweeping this important issue under the carpet and take action.
OUR VISION IS FOR ALL PEOPLE WITH DYSLEXIA TO BE UNDERSTOOD, ACKNOWLEDGED, EMPOWERED AND TO HAVE EQUAL ACCESS TO OPPORTUNITY.
JOIN OUR CAMPAIGN
We’re asking for your help to light up Australia RED in October 2021, here’s how you can get involved:
Arrange to light up your building, monument or landmark Red during the month of October. Once you know it is going RED register with us using the button below.
If you know someone who can help light a building red, download our template letter you can approach them with.
Use our downloadables on your digital channels – or you can print them and display them at your work and in your community.
Take photo’s of places in your area that have lit up RED for Light it RED and share on social media with the hashtag #LIR2021
Use your imagination to think of ways you can shine a light on dyslexia during October
Email us for further information.
Our first scheduled event is the Masquerade Ball to be held at the Adelaide Oval!
Tickets are already selling for this wonderful event that was a huge success in 2019. This years event will be held on SATURDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2021 AT 7:30 PM
SCHEDULED LIGHT UPS 2021
- Canberra Airport (1st – 15th)
- The Royal Australian Mint (10th)
- Telstra Tower (16th)
- Old Parliament House (17th)
- The National Carillion (16th)
- ‘1 Denison’, North Sydney (whole month)
- Scanning Pens Australia, 52 O’Connell St, Parramatta (whole month)
- Monaro Street trees, Queanbeyan (16th)
- BankWest Stadium (TBA)
- Story Bridge, Brisbane (5th)
- Victoria Bridge, Brisbane (5th)
- Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townville (8th)
- The Townsville Sign (14th)
- Victoria Bridge, Townsville (14th)
- Wharton Reef Lighthouse, Townville (14th)
- George Roberts Bridge, Townsville (14th)
- Old Magistrates Court House, Townsville (14th)
- Central Park Boardwalk, Townsville (14th)
- Little Fletcher Bridge, Townsville (14th)
- The Lincoln Silos, Port Lincoln (15th)
- ‘Light it Red for Dyslexia’ Masquerade Ball (16th)
- Adelaide Oval (16th)
- South Australian Parliament House (17th)
- UTAS Launceston and Sandy Bay campuses (1st-12th)
- Wrest Point, Hobart (7-12)
- Premier, Peter Gutwein’s office (8th-10th)
- Aura Hotel, Hobart (whole of Oct)
- Launceston Town Hall (whole of Oct)
- Hobart International Airport (whole of Oct)
- Flinders Street Station (4th)
- Bolte Bridge (5th)
- Matagarup Bridge, Perth (2nd)
- Mount Street Bridge, Perth (2nd)
- Sky Ribbon, Perth (2nd)
- Joondalup Drive Bridge, Perth (2nd)
- Northbridge Tunnel, Perth (2nd)
- Perth Bell Tower (4th)
- Perth Concert Hall (4th – 5th)
Equal Write to Read Virtual Run Back in March 2022!